Get an overview of text selection methods in InDesign.
- Let's take a look at some techniques…for selecting text in InDesign.…With my selection tool I'll double click…to make an insertion point into the text frame,…and then press command or control 2…to jump to 200% view.…I'll leave my frame edges and my hidden characters turned on…but I will turn off my guides.…View, grids & guides, hide guides.…To select a word, double click on the word.…Three clicks will give you a line,…and four clicks will select the whole paragraph.…
Five clicks will select the whole story,…but it's easier to do that by pressing command or control a.…And that includes any continuation…of the story on other pages.…You can of course select a paragraph…by clicking and dragging over it as I have done here,…but I recommend you do it with four clicks, and here's why:…Currently you'll see that the paragraph mark…at the end is not selected.…Now that means that if I change the size of that type,…on my character formats I've changed the size to 10 points,…and now I select the whole paragraph…we see that I have mixed formats.…
Author and designer Nigel French explains how to set up an "editorial workspace" that puts the tools you need most at close reach. He then moves on to selecting and editing text in InDesign: changing case, adding special characters, formatting lists, and inserting breaks. He also shows how to use the Story Editor, Notes, and the Track Changes feature, and explains how InDesign documents are constructed, so that you can edit them with more confidence.
- Opening and saving InDesign documents
- Creating an editorial workspace
- Using guides and nonprinting visual aids
- Selecting and editing text
- Changing case
- Accessing special characters
- Working with bulleted and numbered lists
- Checking spelling
- Working with Notes and Track Changes
- Understanding the underlying structure of an InDesign file
- Controlling text breaks
Skill Level Beginner
InDesign CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner9h 34m Beginner
Creative Spark: Grammar Girl, Changing Writing One Word at a Timewith Mignon Fogarty10m 8s Appropriate for all
1. The InDesign Environment
2. Editing Text
3. Editorial Panels and Features
4. How InDesign Documents Are Constructed
5. Controlling Text Breaks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.