Learn appropriate uses of superscript and subscript as well as uses and abuses of baseline shift.
- [Voiceover] In this movie, we'll look at…some considerations for working…with superscript and subscript.…To begin with, I'll zoom in, command or control.…Space bar, click and drag.…To replace superscript, select the characters,…click on the superscript icon on the…control panel or the subscript.…Just as when you're working with small caps,…if you're working with an open type pro font,…you will have the option of specially drawn characters.…
In this case, superior and inferior,…rather than working with superscript and subscript,…which are just scaled down versions…of the regular characters.…And you can see if you compare the two,…look at the width of the S compared to…the width of the S for the superscript where…it's just been scaled to a smaller version of the original.…You'll know if this is available to you…by coming up to your open type menu.…
If you see these options, superior and inferior,…if those options have square brackets…around them then they are not available for that font.…If you are working with synthetic superscript,…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Layout and Composition with InDesignwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.