Discover how to work with subheads on a baseline grid in Adobe InDesign.
- [Instructor] When using a baseline grid, … it's easy to align your text across columns … when you have just a single size of text. … As you start introducing paragraphs … at different sizes with different amounts of space … before and/or after, then it can become more challenging. … Here we see a common scenario. … I've introduced to some subheads … and these subheads are aligned to the baseline grid. … They share the same letting value as the body text … and they have, above them, 12 points, … which is the value of the baseline grid increment. … Now, the problem is that, visually, they just appear … a little bit too close to the line that follows them. … It would be preferable if we could take some of … this space here and reassign some of it beneath the subhead. … In theory, so long as the total amount of space … assigned to a paragraph is a multiple … of your grid increment, … then that should work just fine. … Our grid increment is 12, so if there is a total amount … of spacing of 24, 36, 48, etc., it shouldn't be a problem. …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.