Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Styling a table of contents, part of InDesign CS3 Long Documents.
So here we are with the Table of Contents. It's been generated, it looks terrible and that's what we are here to do in this movie,…make it look like a decent Table of Contents.…The good news is that we have paragraph styles applied to this text.…So just by changing the style definitions, we will affect the necessary changes in the TOC.…So when I double-click in the story to switch my Type tool, we see I have TOC1 and TOC2.…
They both look the same. I'm going to edit TOC1 to begin with.…Right-click on it and the font I'm using is Adobe Caslon Pro and I'm going to use regular 12 point, 14 point leading,…and I think I will have some tracking with that because I'm going to use OpenType All Small Caps.…And the only other thing I wanted to do here is take off the hyphenation.…
So when I click OK, that applies to everything TOC2 is based on TOC1.…I'm now going to go and edit TOC2 and make changes to that.…It's going to be smaller and that's going to have an indent. Other than that, I think it can remain the same.…
- Setting up templates and master pages
- Working with Bridge
- Creating books
- Planning and managing styles
- Troubleshooting with the Story Editor
- Managing footnotes and endnotes
- Searching with GREP
- Generating a table of contents
- Automating layouts
- Repurposing material as PDF and XHTML documents
Skill Level Intermediate
1 . Getting Started
2. Planning Your Project
3. Setting Up and Applying Master Pages
4. Working with Booked Documents
5. Getting the Most from Global Formatting
6. The Story Editor and Editing Tools
7. Footnotes and Endnotes
9. Understanding GREP Searches
10. Generating a Table of Contents
Styling a table of contents7m 57s
11. Automating Layouts
12. Repurposing Material
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.