Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Specifying image resolution and appearance, part of Learning InDesign CC 2015: EPUBs.
- When you create an ePUB from an InDesign file,…InDesign has to figure out what to do with your images,…because an ePUB can't support like a PSD file…or even a TIFF file, it only supports JPEG, GIFs or 'gifs',…however you like to pronounce them, and PNGs or P-N-G.…In addition, it might need to change the resolution,…and change the position, and so on.…So, that's what I want to talk about,…the basics of what InDesign does by default…and some changes that you might wanna make.…Let's first take a look at the image that we're dealing with…This is, of course, my sweet little Barkley…playing in his jungle gym, and if we look at the links panel…you can see it's a JPEG file.…
The size of the file is two MB, it's RGB.…Even if it's CMYK, by the way, InDesign will export to RGB,…which is all the ePUB support.…The effective resolution is 1130 pixels per inch,…because I've scaled the image way down.…It's actually 6% scaled.…And I just wanted to call your attention to that,…and we have a stroke and drop shadow…happening around the image.…
- Choosing between fixed-layout and reflowable EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Working with book files and Word documents
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Mapping text styles
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to other formats
Skill Level Beginner
InDesign CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner9h 30m Beginner
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Understanding the EPUB Export Options Dialog Box
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
9. Keeping Up with the Field
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.