Discover when and how to use all caps and small caps.
- [Voiceover] As an alternative to all caps…we can use small caps where the first letter…is at 100% and every subsequent letter is…at a reduced scale.…To apply small caps, you simply select…the text, I'm going to come into this text…frame, press Command A to select all,…and then we can click on the small caps button.…Alternatively, we can use the keyboard shortcut,…Command Shift or Control Shift, H.…
Now when you apply small caps, you will…either get fake small caps where the…capital letter has been sized to 70% or…preferably, real small caps which will use…separately drawn characters for the small caps.…And the difference is that for the real small…caps the width of the stems is the same as the…width of the full size characters.…Where as for the fake, the width of the stems…has been sized to 70% or whatever is your…chosen percentage.…
So they tend to look a little bit puny when…set alongside the full size characters.…But if this is the only option that you have,…you can change the relative size of the…small caps by coming to your Preferences and…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Layout and Composition with InDesignwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.