Learn about breaking the grid by working with irregularly shaped text frames in Adobe InDesign.
- [Instructor] Another to disrupt your grid … is to think of your text frames as being … something other than rectangles. … Keep in mind that your text frames … are after all just vector shapes. … If you select them with your Direct Selection tool … you'll see the anchor points … which you can then just click on and move around. … Also if you were to use your pen tool, … now going to select the text frame on … the right hand side by command clicking on it … and then come and click on any path segment … where there isn't already an anchor point. … You add if you move over an existing path segment … you can click to delete it. … Moving to the next spread, you can also … create interesting shapes of text frames … by using your Pathfinder tools. … So here I have my two text frames on top … of which I've drawn these shapes … I'll now press command to select A to select all … then come to the window menu, Object and Layout … and choose my Pathfinder panel. … And I'll now use the second of my Pathfinder options …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.