Learn how to set up a modular 12-column grid, including a baseline grid, in Adobe InDesign.
- [Instructor] I'd like to show you how to construct … a modular grid, specifically I'm going to be working with … a letter size page constructing a grid of 12 columns … and eight rows with a baseline grid value of 12 points. … So I've already made some important design decisions here, … but more important than the numbers … that I'm using is the methodology. … This is what the final document will look like. … I'm starting here with a facing pages spread. … I'm on my master page spread so that the guides I add … will be available on all of my document pages. … I'll come to my document set up. … I'm working in points here because my leading value … from which the other measurements will be derived … is always going to be in expressed in points … and I want my other measurements to equate to that. … To determine the maximum number of lines, … I will divide by page height by 12. … 66, so with the information, I'll cancel out of here … and I'm going to create my margins based on … multiples of my baseline grid, 12. …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.