- So here is my document setup. Obviously, I want Print Intent. Number of Pages, I'm not sure yet, but I'm going to start out with 24 Facing Pages. Now, since each of the recipes is going to be self-contained, and because I want the flexibility of being able to shuffle the order, I'm not going to choose Primary Text Frame. In terms of the size, now I have my default unit of measurement in points, but I'm going to specify the size in inches, and I do go back and forth a lot with my unit of measurement.
7.5 inches by 10 inches. Why that size? Well, I looked at other cookbooks, and I found a couple that were at this size. I think it works well. It's also, not coincidentally, a three-to-four aspect ratio, so when we come to export this to make a version that is in a fixed layout EPUB, that's going to come in handy for us. Number of columns, I'd like five, and because I plan on putting an intercolumn rule between these columns, I want the gutter space to be quite large, 30 points, so that when I put a rule between the gutter, I'll have 15 points either side of that rule.
Now, if we just take a look at those column widths, you'll see they're very narrow, but I don't intend to use them singularly. I'll be using for my narrow text frame, that will be two, and my wider text frame will be three. Now, I have made some design decisions before getting to this point, and an important design decision is that I will be using 12-point type on 15-point leading. And 15 points is the key number here.
Everything is going to revolve around 15 points, so my margin values will be set in multiples of 15. And they're going to be 60, 75 on the bottom because it's the bottom where I'll have the folio page number, so I want a bit more room there, and the inside and the outside, they will both be 60. For the print version, I do want a bleed, and that's going to be nine points, or one-eighth of an inch, and I'm also going to have a slogan area outside of the page area in which I can put any project-related information.
I'm going to have that just at the top, and that's going to be 45 points. So there's my document setup. I'm now going to save this, and see you in the next movie.
- Setting up the document
- Creating layers and a grid
- Building a color palette
- Adding master pages
- Setting up paragraph styles and GREP styles
- Creating and placing images
- Designing the cover
- Adding an infographic
- Creating section heads, footers, and a table of contents
- Exporting a PDF and an EPUB