Learn how to set up and use a baseline grid in Adobe InDesign
- [Instructor] In this movie, and the movies that follow … in this chapter, I'm going to be talking … about working with a baseline grid. … We're going to start with setting up a baseline grid … and then I'll move on to talking about issues … that arise when you're working with a baseline grid. … Firstly, why do you want to use a baseline grid? … Well, as we see in this document, … we can align the baselines of our type … to this incremented ruling … so that we can create a nice structured … and clean look to our documents. … I'm going to come to my setup document here … where I have some columns of type … and these columns of type … are currently not aligned to a baseline grid. … Let me point out that when I press W, … we can see that I have my margins set up … and then on a separate layer, … I have my layout grid. … I'm going to leave the layout grid turned off for now … but the layout grid has informed the placement … of the text frames on these pages. … So, I will need my guides turned on …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.