The strengths and shortcomings of right alignment and its implications for type color (density)
- [Voiceover] Because it is less common,…right align type is distinctive.…It can be effective when used sparingly…for short paragraphs like captions,…POR quotes, or sometimes, headlines.…In the context of a facing pages spread,…right alignment tends to work better on left pages,…with its smooth edge towards the spine.…Avoid using right alignment for long paragraphs,…because the eye will focus on the end…rather than the beginning of the line.…
When positioning a block of informational text…on a flyer or poster, or even a business card,…there's a tendency to right align it…in the lower right hand corner.…This creates an uncomfortable photo corner effect,…and tends to trap the flow of whitespace,…making the composition feel confined.…You can position a text block on the right side of the page,…but still have it be left aligned,…with a clearly defined starting point for each line,…and let the whitespace flow off the page.…
When working with right align text,…do accentuate the unevenness of the rag,…if necessary, by adding line breaks or shift returns.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Intermediate
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.