Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Replacing Word styles with InDesign ones after importing, part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
Let's look at a very common problem with flowed Word text and that is how to…convert the word styles to InDesign styles safely.…We'll start by importing a Word file into this empty document that currently has styles.…Remember to always check Paragraph and Character Styles to make sure they're set…to the defaults. That looks good.…Close that up. File > Place.…And the file that we want is inside the exercise folder.…I have Show Import Options enabled because I want to make sure to include the styles.…
If it all possible it's a good idea to include the styles whenever you are…importing Word files. I know, I know, you're thinking, no, no,…no, that's the nightmare. But it's the only way that you're going to…be able to distinguish what is supposed to be a headline from what is supposed to be…body copy easily. So let me show you a few tricks in this…video that could help. Click OK.…I'm going to hold down the Shift key to place this entire file and it came in.…All right. So let's take a look at what we have here…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.