Know the difference between quote marks and inch marks and how to avoid common problems associated with both.
- [Voiceover] When it comes to the small details…of typography,…much is about just avoiding the common problems,…like what we see here in the top example…where instead of typographer's quotes,…we have inch marks and a foot mark instead of an apostrophe.…This can occur if this preference…in Type > Use Typographer's Quotes…if this has been turned off.…So, make sure that that is turned on.…
Of course, there will be times when you actually want…feet and inch marks.…If I move now to the next page,…we see such an example.…So, we also want to avoid using quotation marks…when we actually want feet and inches.…I'll come delete the feet and inches from here.…I'm now going to use a toggle to toggle that preference off.…The keyboard shortcut is Command + Option + Shift + '…or Control + Alt + Shift + '…And then press the '…and the ".…
and the ".…There is something of a problem for Mac users here…because if you want to use that toggle,…you will first need to, or you may, depending on your…version of your operating system,…disable a system preference.…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.