Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Preserving Word styles when importing text, part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
In an early video, we strip out all the Word styles when we brought it into InDesign.…Now, let's see what happens when we keep all the Word styles.…Let's live dangerously. Here we are, looking at the same text that…says that product brochure text or an olive oil company done in Microsoft Word.…It has a mix of paragraph and character styles, you can see over here on the right.…And, some overrides as well, and some things that won't translate.…But we're going to go ahead and bring the whole thing in anyway.…So jump over to InDesign, if you're on a PC you have to close the Word file before…you place it, I never bother because the Mac, you don't have to do that.…
Before we place it, let's take a look at our styles and make sure that we are at…the default style for Paragraph Cnd character.…And Paragraph style is Basic Paragraph. You can see we have a bunch of other…styles in here. Ready to go.…They are differently named than the ones in Word, and Character Styles is none.…So that's all good to go. Excellent.…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.