Discover some issues that may arise when working with a baseline grid in Adobe InDesign.
- [Instructor] If you're new to working with baseline grids, … they can be a bit confusing at first, … until you understand why the type is behaving as it is. … The first issue is that the baseline grid increment … would take precedence over the leading value. … Here's what I mean by this. … My type is set to 12 points. … My baseline grid increment is 12 points. … So currently, the two are in sync. … My type is locked to that 12 point baseline grid. … Now, if I change my leading value, … let's say I want to go to 13 points. … This happens. … That's not 13 points at all. … That's actually 24 points. … When your leading misses the baseline grid increment, … it jumps to the next one. … So in this case, if I really wanted 13 point leading, … then I'll need to change … my baseline grid increment to 13 point. … Another issue is when you're working … with small pieces of type, … such as this caption down here, … I'll press w to turn on my guides … so that we can see the type area. … Now, when I move this caption …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.