When to favor paragraph spacing over first line indents. The importance of spacing in structuring a document.
- [Voiceover] To achieve spacing between paragraphs,…use space before or space after.…You'll find them on the paragraph formatting controls.…Here is space before, and this one space after.…Do not add extra carriage returns between paragraphs.…Every time you create a new paragraph…by pressing return or enter,…the blank paragraph has the same formats,…including the leading,…as the paragraph before it.…
Amongst other problems this can mean that…if your text flows to multiple columns of pages,…a return at the top of the column or page…will create an unwanted space.…And if I press my w key to to turn on my guide…so we can see there is…the offending extra carriage return.…Also, if you are creating epubs and you use…blank returns to create space between paragraphs,…the epub export will ignore them.…In this example, the space between the paragraphs…is achieved with space before.…
In the second paragraph, I have 24 points of space before,…and in the third paragraph, 12 points of space before.…While occasionally you may need to use…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.