Some everyday and some unexpected uses of Paragraph Rules
- [Voiceover] Paragraph Rules are great…for differentiating blocks of information,…especially in calendar listings.…The rules can be incorporated into a paragraph…style and they are associated with the text…faithfully following it wherever it goes.…So let's just take a look at what we have here.…First of all, let's take a look at…the Paragraph Rule definition.…I'll come to the Paragraph Style, right click…on the Paragraph Style name to edit it,…and then to Paragraph Rules.…
This is a Rule Above and is set to the width…of the column but we also have the option…of setting it to the width of the text.…Let's see how we can recreate this.…I'll click into this text.…This technique tends to work best when the text…is in all uppercase because then the words look…optically centered within the bar.…So I'm gonna press Command-Shift-K…or Control-Shift-K to make the text uppercase.…
Since it's uppercase, I'll also add a little…bit of positive tracking to it as well.…Then I'm going to bring up the Dialog Box…for Paragraph Rules.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.