Learn about the role of paragraph styles and character styles in InDesign and how to apply them to text.
- An InDesign document is not complete…without paragraph styles and character styles.…These will be listed respectively…on the Paragraph Styles and Character Styles panels.…If you don't see these,…they are either under the Type menu…or under the Window menu in the Styles group.…Through the use of styles, the designer can create…a look for a certain class of paragraph…and then consistently apply that look…to other paragraphs of the same type with a single click.…
Thereafter, changes to the appearance of type can be made…by editing the definition of the paragraph style.…I'm now going to zoom in on the bottom portion…of this left-hand page by holding down…Command and spacebar and clicking and dragging.…I'll turn off my guides here,…because they're a little distracting.…Grids & Guides, Hide Guides.…I'm retaining my hidden characters and my frame edges.…So I'm going to select this text…and return it to Basic Paragraph…and then re-apply the styles just so you can see…how easy and fast it is to apply styles.…
I'll click in the paragraph.…
Author and designer Nigel French explains how to set up an "editorial workspace" that puts the tools you need most at close reach. He then moves on to selecting and editing text in InDesign: changing case, adding special characters, formatting lists, and inserting breaks. He also shows how to use the Story Editor, Notes, and the Track Changes feature, and explains how InDesign documents are constructed, so that you can edit them with more confidence.
- Opening and saving InDesign documents
- Creating an editorial workspace
- Using guides and nonprinting visual aids
- Selecting and editing text
- Changing case
- Accessing special characters
- Working with bulleted and numbered lists
- Checking spelling
- Working with Notes and Track Changes
- Understanding the underlying structure of an InDesign file
- Controlling text breaks
Skill Level Beginner
InDesign CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner9h 34m Beginner
Creative Spark: Grammar Girl, Changing Writing One Word at a Timewith Mignon Fogarty10m 8s Appropriate for all
1. The InDesign Environment
2. Editing Text
3. Editorial Panels and Features
4. How InDesign Documents Are Constructed
5. Controlling Text Breaks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.