Learn about breaking the grid by overlapping elements in Adobe InDesign.
- [Instructor] Let's see how we … can make our grid based layouts more dynamic … by bleeding elements, rotating elements, … and overlapping elements. … This is my finished version … and here is where I'm starting. … So first of all, I would like to tie the two pages … of my facings pages spread together … by crossing over the title treatment. … I have these three elements that are grouped together … so I'm going to hold down command shift … as I scale that up … and I want to get it to such a point … where the left hand edge of the box surrounding the letter R … is aligned with that image. … So let me just nudge that back a fraction. … Okay, and now to integrate these two elements together, … I'm going to use a transparency effect. … I'll come to my effects panel … and let's set that to multiply. … I'll also select the image and bleed this … off the edge of the page. … Turn on the guides by pressing W, … and I'd like to integrate this caption with the image … so I'm going to reconfigure this, …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.