Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Numerals, part of InDesign Typography Part 1.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Many open type fonts give you the option…of different numbering styles.…Command, space bar, click and drag to zoom into the…left portion of the page.…Here are those numbering styles.…Basically there are two shapes of numerals.…The Tabular numerals.…Let me see that one, right here.…And the Oldstyle numerals.…Both come in two different forms.…Lining, where each numeral occupies the the same width.…Now, Proportional, where the width is adjusted…according to the width of the character.…
You can change your numbering style by coming…to the Control Panel menu, OpenType,…and they're all listed here.…If you want to bake this into a paragraph style definition,…then, you can change the numbering style here in…the OpenType features.…I'm going to hold down the Alt key, or the option key,…and just drag my page to the left.…As the name suggests, Tabular numerals are good for…Tabular matter.…
Tabular Lining numerals are designed so they they will…line up on top of each other.…Lining numerals also work well when set alongside text…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Layout and Composition with InDesignwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.