Automate formatting with Nested Styles and Line Styles
- [Voiceover] Nested styles embed a character style,…or multiple character styles,…in a paragraph-style definition,…allowing you to apply multiple formats with a single click.…While it's possible to get very complicated…with nested styles, the best and most useful nested styles…are those that are easy to set up…and that you use frequently.…So I have a number of typical nested-style examples.…Beginning with a chapter opening treatment.…This applies a particular character style…to a drop cap, as well as small caps character style…to a specified number of words.…
I'll click into my paragraph.…Now because I'm a little short of screen space,…I'm gonna hold down the alt key to access my hand tool…and drag my page to the left.…And then come to Paragraph Styles,…create a new paragraph style.…So it's this area that I'm after,…Drop caps and Nested Styles.…Firstly to apply the drop cap, I'll specify the number…of lines I want to sync,…and we get to choose a character style that is applied…to the drop cap character.…
If you have one already created,…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.