Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Mapping text styles to HTML and CSS tags, part of InDesign CC 2015: EPUB Fundamentals.
- When you export an InDesign file to EPUB,…InDesign looks at all of your Paragraph and Character…Styles that are in use and does its best to convert those…to CSS markup.…However, Paragraph and Character Styles in InDesign…are a completely different beast than…Cascading Style Sheets.…There are things that you can do in InDesign…that you can't do in CSS and vice versa.…There is something that you, as the eBook designer though,…can do to make the CSS more accessible.…
What I'm talking about is making sure that your…headings and subheads are using the proper h1 and h2 tags.…If you go to the idpf.org website, you know this is the site…that we looked at earlier that governs how EPUB 3 works,…they have a section in here under…EPUB 3 Accessibility Guidelines…that talks about this very thing called Headings.…So for example,…if you have a headline like…ORIGIN OF THE WORLD. -FIRST DYNASTY.…That should be tagged with the h1 HTML tag,…which stands for header level 1,…which is the largest header.…
If you had a Subhead, that would be h2…
- Choosing between fixed-layout and reflowable EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Working with book files and Word documents
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Mapping text styles
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to other formats
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Understanding the EPUB Export Options Dialog Box
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
9. Keeping Up with the Field
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.