Learn how to map Word styles to InDesign styles.
- [Instructor] It's a common workflow…to place text in InDesign that has been created in Word.…Word uses styles in a similar way to InDesign.…If the Word document you're placing has styles…you can map them to your InDesign styles.…Here's an event listing,…this is recreated every month.…When it's time for next month's listings,…I want to reuse the styles I already have.…I'll delete the text,…double click to insert my cursor into the text frame,…Command A to select all and delete.…
Before I place the text,…let's just take a look at it in Word.…We see that its appearance is quite different.…Styles, if we look up here,…have been used,…but their names are different.…Returning to InDesign, if I place this text,…file and place,…we see that the Word styles are imported.…Take a look here on my paragraph styles panel.…And I have to swap my Word styles for my InDesign styles.…I'll press undo twice to go back to the point…before I place the text.…
Now I'm going to place it again,…but this time, I'm going to come to my options…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 43m Beginner
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Chapter Botched on Import
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.