Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video Manage fonts for a fixed-layout project, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Embedded fonts are required…in fixed layout e-books if you want…to use live text.…Unlike a refoilable e-book,…where a user can change font…and font size at will.…The choices a designer makes…for a fixed layout book cannot be changed…by the user.…Now, there are a couple of different…requirements for choosing fonts…that will work properly in e-books.…One is that they be open type or true type.…That is that they have file extensions OTF or TTF.…Post-script fonts are not usable in e-books.…You know those old type one fonts,…they're not usable.…
They have to be open type or true type.…The other consideration is licensing.…You have to make sure that you have…proper e-book licensing for your fonts.…Just because you have web licensing,…doesn't mean you can use it in your e-book.…And just because you have a desktop license,…doesn't meant you can use it in your e-book.…Your license has to state specifically,…as it does here for this Proxima Nova font…from fonts.com,…this is a specific language for e-books.…And this particular font says…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.