Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Maggying the Word file to remove internal corruption, part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
If you've ever place a Word document into InDesign and it just starts acting weird,…I mean like, I have had Word documents that can't replicated here, where I would…swipe over a paragraph. But this paragraph wouldn't become selected.…Something else up here would become selected or when I was doing a fine change…in the story, it would crash. Or any of those kind of like weird occurrances.…If you can replicate that by placing that Word file into another InDesign document…and the same problem occurs then buddy you got a problem with that Word file.…
I want to show you the one technique that I picked up a few years ago that I thought…was an old wise tail but it turns out it's actually endorsed by Microsoft.…And that's called Maggying the Word file. You're going to have to start over.…You're going to have to remove that story from InDesign and open up the original…Word document. So I have this original Word document…opened up here. Maggying the file means selecting all the text.…Just click inside the file and choose Select All.…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.