Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video Layers, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [ Male Narrator ] First, we need to make sure that…art, text, and other elements in the book are on their own…dedicated layers.…Using layers makes it simple to create image files,…to export to .jpeg and text files exported to html.…First, we'll pull out the layers panel in this document…and see what we have.…Shrink it up a little bit,…so it takes less real estate,…and you see we have three different layers; text, art,…and masterPage.…In this particular exercise…we're only going to be looking at the text…and the art layers.…Now one way to tell what layer an item is on,…is to look at the color of the text box.…
Here we have a blue text box, it's on the blue layer.…See the blue line right there.…Here we have a piece of art, it's on the art layer.…Corresponds to that red line in the art layer…in the layers panel.…Move on to the next spread,…blue box in the text layer,…red box in the art layer.…Now this spread's a little more complicated,…but we can still see the layers that everything is on,…and it looks like this layer here is on the art layer,…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.