Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Keep Options, part of InDesign: Typography Part 2.
- [Voiceover] Keep options are…very useful for controlling your text.…Here I have a subhead that's become…disassociated from the text that follows.…If I just wanted to fix this particular instance,…I could put my cursor in front of the M,…come to Type, Insert Break Character, Column Break.…But rather than do it that way,…I'm going to fix it for all subheads.…To do that, I will edit the paragraph style definition.…Right-click on the paragraph style name,…come to Keep Options and I will say Keep with Next,…one line or I might want to up that to two lines…so that the subhead will always be…with at least two lines that follow.…
Moving now to the next page,…we have a related but…slightly different problem.…Once again, I will edit the paragraph style definition…by right-clicking on the style name,…Keep Options.…In this case,…I could probably get Keep with Next to work,…but what I want is to keep lines together.…I never want a multiple-line subhead to be broken…so I'm gonna say Keep Lines Together…and I could leave it at two for the start…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.