Column Measure, Paragraph Composer, Hyphenation, OMA, Justification
- [Voiceover] Justified text is…considered formal and structured.…Justified text is symmetrical and…the smooth right edge creates balance.…Justified type is also more economical…than left-aligned type because…it allows more words on the page.…The challenge of justified type…is to control the variation in the word spacing.…The column measure or number of characters…per line has a big influence on justified type.…
The more word spaces there are on a line…the less noticeable the variation…in those word spaces will be and…the better looking the justified type will be.…What's an appropriate column measure…will vary according to the nature of the publication.…But if you're working with less than…40 characters per line, it will be…difficult to get good justified text.…You can use the info panel to measure…the number of characters per line.…
Triple click on the line and it tells you right there,…number of characters on that line.…Moving now to the next page.…Here's a comparison between left-aligned…and justified type, with the white space…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.