Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Importing Word tables of contents (TOCs), part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
Getting just regular text that's styled and formatted from Word into InDesign is…one thing, but getting some other elements like TOC's and footnotes an so on, that…Word can generate into InDesign is another matter entirely.…The best workflow is to not generate those in Word, if you can possibly avoid it.…Bring in just the text if you can, and generate the TOC in index at least in InDesign.…A footnotes and end-notes obviously are better done in Word, because somebody is…writing it and knows where the footnotes and end-notes should go.…
Those also have problems though in, InDesign and I"ll be covering all of these…in this chapter. But first, let's talk about table of contents.…We're looking at a fairly long Word document that is from an old book called…BT Barnums humbug. That looks pretty good, I'd like to read this.…And it includes one of Word's, which is to generate an automatic table of contents.…And it's done. This is not a video on how to create TOCs,…but I just want to show you where it's coming from.…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.