Discover how to turn off hyphenation or cause a word to hyphenate differently.
- [Voiceover] In this chapter I want to talk about…controlling how our text breaks.…And I'm gonna begin with the words.…So whether or not you allow words to hyphenate…at the end of a line is a matter of house style.…While hyphens are never ideal,…allowing hyphenation can improve the density of your type,…especially if working with justified text.…If hyphenation is allowed as part of your house style,…it should be controlled through the paragraph styles.…
If I come to my Paragraph Styles panel,…and we look at the body paragraph style,…and then click on Hyphenation,…these are the hyphenation settings.…To turn off hyphenation for a selected paragraph,…come to your Paragraph Formats level of the control panel,…and just uncheck this check box.…Let's just zoom in on the paragraph first so…that we can see what's happening.…I'll hold down cmd + spacebar…and then click and drag over the paragraph.…
If I now uncheck Hyphenate we see the hyphens go away.…I'll undo that by pressing cmd + Z or ctrl + Z.…Let's say you just wanted to prevent a particular word…
Author and designer Nigel French explains how to set up an "editorial workspace" that puts the tools you need most at close reach. He then moves on to selecting and editing text in InDesign: changing case, adding special characters, formatting lists, and inserting breaks. He also shows how to use the Story Editor, Notes, and the Track Changes feature, and explains how InDesign documents are constructed, so that you can edit them with more confidence.
- Opening and saving InDesign documents
- Creating an editorial workspace
- Using guides and nonprinting visual aids
- Selecting and editing text
- Changing case
- Accessing special characters
- Working with bulleted and numbered lists
- Checking spelling
- Working with Notes and Track Changes
- Understanding the underlying structure of an InDesign file
- Controlling text breaks
Skill Level Beginner
InDesign CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner9h 35m Beginner
Creative Spark: Grammar Girl, Changing Writing One Word at a Timewith Mignon Fogarty10m 8s Appropriate for all
1. The InDesign Environment
2. Editing Text
3. Editorial Panels and Features
4. How InDesign Documents Are Constructed
5. Controlling Text Breaks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.