How to strengthen the left edge of a text frame by using the Indent to Here character
- [Voiceover] One of the simplest enhancement…you can make to your type is to use…optical margin alignment.…Punctuation at the edge of a text frame…can make the column appear misaligned.…When a line begins with punctuation,…like an opening quote mark or ends with a comma,…period, or especially a hyphen, you have a visual hole.…With InDesign's story panel. You can ensure…that your punctuation hangs outside of the text frame…so that column edge remains flush.…
This makes optical margin alignment especially beneficial…when working with justified text.…The story panel is easy to use.…You select the story with the selection tool…or the type tool,…choose story from the type menu,…check the box and you're done.…The only user-defined option is the font size.…And this should correspond to the size of your type.…But you might want to experiment with this.…There are a few types of paragraph…that don't benefit from optical margin alignment.…
Notably, bullet or number lists.…For such paragraphs, you can choose to ignore…optical margin alignment,…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Intermediate
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.