Explore some grid-related resources including books, websites, and plug-ins.
- [Instructor] I would just like to mention … some very useful grid resources … that I have found very helpful … and I think you will, too. … Firstly, books. … The classic on the topic is Grid Systems in Graphic Design … by Josef Muller-Brockmann. … More contemporary books are Making and Breaking the Grid … by Timothy Samara, … and Grid Systems by Kimberly Elam, … both of which are excellent. … In terms of websites, thegridsystem.org … is a useful source of templates, tools, and tutorials … and Layout Grid Calculator is a place where you can … put in the parameters of the project … that you're working on and it will do the math for you. … So you've seen me working with a lot … of relatively straightforward math, … but still it does involve sometimes … getting the calculator out to make sure … that everything works right. … Well, this is a website that will do … that heavy lifting for you, … and it says here that there is an indesign cc plugin … that will be launching soon. … At the time of recording, …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.