Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video Graphic novels and comics, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Comics and graphic novels get their own treatment…on the Kindle platform.…They are considered fixed-layout as well as…children's books are,…but they have their own set of specs…and file requirements.…While the fixed layout for children's books relies…on live text-based magnification,…the comics format is much more interested…in panel by panel magnification.…This is a sample that I've downloaded from Amazon…and uploaded onto the Kindle Previewer…just to give you an example of how the platform works,…how this format works.…So we scroll through to the images,…and, there's a very complicated layout there,…and double click and see what happens here is…it magnifies as a panel…rather than as pieces of text…or as little spot art,…and you scroll through the page…and each panel pops up in its own turn…and the rest of the page is sort of grayed out.…
And it goes page by page like this,…so you can see how this is different…from the pop-up view in the region magnification spec…that we're talking about…in a children's fixed layout book.…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.