TOCs rely upon consistent use of styles. Learn how to build one.
- [Narrator] Styles are used in conjunction with InDesign's…table of contents feature, and in order to automatically…generate a table of contents you have to use styles…consistently in the document.…The table of contents finds all instances of specified…paragraph styles, generates a table of contents,…and applies styles to the generated text.…Let's just take a quick spin through this document.…You can see that I have chapter numbers, chapter titles,…and I also have section titles.…
So those are the things that I want to pick up…in my table of contents, and I'm going to put my table…of contents on page five, which is currently blank.…So I'm going to come to the layout menu…and choose table of contents.…I'll return to the table of contents style…and capture these settings as a table of contents style…when I have everything the way I want it.…Title I'm going to leave at contents.…I'll choose a paragraph style to apply to that.…Now I'm considering this as same level of hierarchy…as a chapter title, so I'm going to use…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 43m Beginner
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Managing Styles
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.