Generate auto captions using an image's metadata
- [Instructor] Paragraph styles can be used in conjunction…with InDesign's captions feature,…allowing you to autogenerate image captions…from the image metadata and apply a specific paragraph style…to those captions.…Firstly, the images need to have usable metadata.…I'll come to my Links panel and right click…on one of the images and then choose Reveal in Bridge.…In the metadata IPTC Core section,…someone has entered a caption in the description field,…so it's the description field that I'll be using.…
Back in InDesign, choose Object, Captions, Caption Setup.…I don't need any text before or after…but I do need to make sure that the metadata…is set to description.…I'll have my caption below the image…and I can choose a paragraph style to apply to the caption.…I can choose to put my caption on a separate layer…but, in this case, I'm going to choose to group the image…with the caption.…The third step is to generate the caption.…
Select the images and then choose Options, Captions,…Generate Static Caption.…Static Captions are preferable for multi-line captions.…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 42m Beginner
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Chapter Botched on Import
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.