Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video Fixed-layout ebooks without InDesign, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- If you don't use InDesign for your text layout,…the template approach will still work well for you.…Since it deals mainly with the HTML and CSS structure…of an eBook, it's simple to create a publication…without a layout application like InDesign.…First, you need to write your text,…and you can use any kind of text editor.…This is just TextEdit here on the Macintosh,…and here's the same stuff in Microsoft Word.…Once you get your text here, then you'll just need…to copy and paste it from here into the template…the same way that we would copy and paste HTML export…from InDesign into the template.…
One thing to keep in mind when you're working…with your text is not to go crazy formatting it…in your text application.…Don't go crazy formatting it in Word or in TextEdit…or anywhere because none of that will follow through…into the template, into the HTML/CSS template.…That's where you're going to do all your formatting…and make all of your style choices,…so don't do too much work formatting…in your text application.…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.