This video offers a look at the steps involved in creating a fixed-layout EPUB with InDesign. This includes previewing with Adobe Digital Editions or iBooks, fixing issues with text and graphics, replacing old fonts, adjusting typographical elements to remove things unsupported in EPUB. Also, using Object Export Options to fix output problems, and creating a device TOC are mentioned.
- [Narrator] Let's take a look at the steps involved…in creating a fixed-layout EPUB with InDesign.…A good way to start is to simply export…your document as is…to fixed-layout EPUB and view it in an e-book reader…like Adobe Digital Editions or iBooks.…This will give you an idea of what works…and looks okay and what doesn't.…So you'll know just how much work…you have ahead of you to fix things.…You might spot problems with images or fonts…that don't appear correctly in the fixed-layout EPUB.…You might also see places where it would be good…to add some interactivity,…and you could make a running list of things…to fix or add in InDesign.…
Once you're back in InDesign,…you can start the process of working…with both text and graphics in your layout…to get them ready for EPUB export.…This means things like replacing old PostScript fonts…with OpenType fonts since PostScript fonts…can't be embedded in EPUB.…Also with regard to fonts,…you need to confirm your font licensing…allows for embedding and distribution in EPUB,…
- Overview of interactive document types, including PDF and EPUB
- Creating interactive objects
- Setting up hyperlinks, cross-references, and a table of contents
- Working with media
- Publishing documents with Publish Online
- Creating EPUBs
- Following workflows for interactivity: interactive PDF, reflowable EPUB, and fixed-layout EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up InDesign to Work with Interactive Documents
2. Types of Interactive Documents Made with InDesign
3. Work with Interactive Objects
4. Use Navigation Tools
5. Multimedia Tools
6. Publish Online
7. Create EPUBs
8. Interactive Document Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.