Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Exercise files, part of InDesign Typography Part 1.
- [Voiceover] If you're a premium member of lynda.com you have access to the exercise files that I'm using throughout this title. They're in one folder and you can download this to your desktop and they are arranged by chapter. If you're working with an earlier version of InDesign and you can't open these files then use the versions that are in the IDML, InDesign markup language, folder. If you're a monthly or annual member of lynda.com you won't have access to these files, but you will still be able to follow along with files of your own.
Because this is a course on typography I'll be using a number of different fonts. To make things easier I've restricted my usage to those fonts available on Typekit. If you have a Creative Cloud subscription then you have access to Adobe Typekit and to these same fonts. If you don't have access to Typekit then substitute fonts of your own with similar qualities. If you open a document and you see this message about missing fonts you will have the option to sync the fonts.
In the case of this document when I open it it looks like this, because the font is not synced. I'll go ahead and click sync. There will be a brief pause and then everything should click into place.
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Layout and Composition with InDesignwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.