Learn correct usage of dashes and ellipsis.
- [Voiceover] There are several different widths…of dash and it's very important that you use the right one…'cause they all communicate different things.…The stubbiest of them all is the hyphen,…some fonts will have a minus symbol,…and then there is the en dash,…and the longest of all, and almost certainly…the widest character in your whole character set,…the em dash.…So let's have a look at the use of an en dash,…first of all.…The keyboard shortcut for and en dash is option + hyphen (-)…or ALT + hyphen (-) and their common usage…is whenever in a phrase you would use the word to,…that's when you should use an en dash.…
So if it's open 9 to 5, 1914 to 1918,…September to October, that's when you want an en dash,…and you can see that they are wider…than your standard hyphen.…So let's just correct these.…Option + hyphen (-) and if you forget the keyboard shortcut,…you can right click and come to insert special character,…hyphens and dashes, en dash.…At twice the width of then en dash is the em dash…and as the text says here, this is used…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Layout and Composition with InDesignwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.