Learn when (and when not) to use ligatures and how to access discretionary ligatures.
- [Voicecover] Okay now we're getting…to the really pedantic stuff,…the ellipsis or dot dot dot, three dots.…And it is just three, don't get carried away…with the full stop or the period,…that's just three dots.…Depending on the style manual that you are working from,…the ellipsis may be preceded…by a full stop ending a sentence…in which case it would be four dots,…but refer to whatever style manual you're using…but the ellipsis itself is just three.…
And the issue is, how do you space those dots?…And here we have three different approaches…and the first one I'm suggesting is not a good one.…The first one is just to type ...…Nothing more than that.…And that has two problems,…one is that they're too close together…and two, it's unlikely but it is possible…that they could be broken across the line…so you'd end up with two at the end of one line…and one being carried down to the next line.…
As an alternative we can use the Ellipsis Character.…This is just one character…and you get the ellipsis character…by using this keyboard shortcut Option ;…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.