How to format text efficiently and consistently using Paragraph Styles and Character Styles—and the difference between the two.
- [Voiceover] Styles are a bedrock feature of InDesign.…They enable better design and a more efficient workflow.…The difference between using styles and not using styles…is the difference between you controlling InDesign…and InDesign controlling you.…Styles are collections of attributes…that can be applied to text…with a single click or keystroke.…With styles, I can transform this document…in a matter of seconds.…I'll begin by pressing W to show my guides…and my hidden characters.…
Then double click with my type cursor…to insert that into the text,…open my Styles panel and now apply…the pre-prepared paragraph styles as appropriate.…Paragraph styles can incorporate both…character and paragraph formats.…Font, font size, alignment, paragraph spacing,…everything that we have seen on the Control panel menu.…
Character styles can incorporate…character formats only.…As their names suggest, paragraph styles are applied…to whole paragraphs,…character styles are applied to a selected range of text…within a paragraph.…Object styles are applied to frames.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Intermediate
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.