Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Discovering how text styles work in Word, part of Using Word and InDesign Together.
Whenever you try and make two things work together like Word and InDesign, it's…important to understand the culture, the language of each of those things.…I want to spend some time talking about Microsoft Word and the basics of how it…understands formatting text and working with styles.…We're going to start out in the Mac version of Word, the latest version right…now is Word 2011. And then, halfway through this video I'm…going to jump over to Windows and show some of the same things only in Windows 2013.…The first thing we want to do is just start typing in a plain document.…
And if I just start typing just some plain text, you should know that every Word…document already comes with a whole bunch of styles built into it.…It's based on the Word template. The styles that it comes with can be seen…in the ribbon, up here, under Styles, and also in a couple other places.…Now, there is one of these places that I recommend you keep open all the time…whenever you're working in Word, especially when you're trying to diagnose…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.