Designing a Book
Explore book design with Nigel French, as he breaks down the components of an elegant and readable layout and jumps into the setup and strategy for designing a book from the ground up in Adobe InDesign. This class covers document setup, placing and styling text, working with images, creating the book cover, preparing the book for print and or distribution as an ebook.
- Getting to know your text
- Choosing a page size and format
- Setting margins
- Creating and applying paragraph styles
- Wrapping text around images
- Creating a table of contents
- Designing the front cover, spine, and back cover
- Exporting a print-ready PDF
- Uploading to Blurb
- Making an EPUB
- Hi, I'm Nigel French. Welcome to Designing a Book. In this course, we're gonna design a novel, not just any novel, Alice in Wonderland. I've chosen this work partly because the text and images are in the public domain but also because Alice in Wonderland provides an excellent case study in book design. Along with some unusual and challenging type treatments, it contains all the major ingredients of a book-length project. In designing our book, we'll be examining the aesthetics of book design, such as determining the size of margins, line length, type selection sizing and treatment and time honored conventions for how to treat the different parts of a book.
As well as the interior of the book, we'll also be creating the cover, back cover, and spine and optionally, uploading the finished files to blurb.com so that we can receive a real, printed copy of our beautifully designed book. So let's get started with Designing a book.
InDesign CS6 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad387,999 Views
Designing with Grids in InDesign290,963 Views
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documents656,897 Views
InDesign CS5 Essential Training3,826,231 Views
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFs246,991 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,678,359 Views
InDesign CC Essential Training (2013)2,914,987 Views
Deke's Techniques1,567,617 Views
InDesign Secrets1,519,557 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Mastery302,647 Views