Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating, applying, and editing, part of InDesign: Typography Part 2.
- [Voiceover] In this movie, I'd like to go over…the basics of creating, applying, and editing styles.…So I have this text…the head is already formatted,…I need to format the rest of it.…I'll select the rest of the text…and start by changing the size.…I'm using type sizes that are much bigger…than one would use in print,…and that's just because we're seeing this on screen.…I'm going to use 14-point, I'll change the leading.…I want to avoid auto-leading…so I'm gonna make the leading 16-point.…
And that's all I need to change in this instance.…The alignment is left, that's what I want.…And there's no hyphenation and that's what I want.…So I'll next come to my Paragraph Styles panel.…If you don't see your Paragraph Styles panel,…you'll find it under the Type menu.…From the panel menu of the Paragraph Styles panel,…I will choose New Paragraph Style,…I will give the style a name.…Here's a list of the formats that have been applied.…Importantly, Apply Style to Selection is checked.…
I'll click okay.…All of this text is now in the body style.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.