Publish Online provides an interface for interacting with your document pages. There is one part of the interface that can be customized. In this video, Diane Burns shows you how to create custom thumbnails for your document, using a simple trick in InDesign. Use custom thumbnails to clarify different sections or chapters in your document.
- [Voiceover] Your published documents…sit on Adobe's servers…and as we've discussed in another video,…the interface for viewing and interacting with your document…comes from the Adobe server side.…So, you can't really customize it in any way.…You can, of course, put navigation in your own document,…such as these buttons here,…but you can't change this interface in any way otherwise.…However, there is one trick I'd like to show you…for sort of customizing the experience.…It has to do with these document thumbnails.…These document thumbnails let you navigate…through your document…and they show you little miniatures of each page.…
Depending on the document,…these may or may not be easy to read…and in this case,…because of the animation and the way I've set it up here,…this page actually looks kinda funky.…You can't really tell what's going on here.…It doesn't look the way that it will…when the animation finally ends.…So, for different reasons you may want…to change these thumbnails…and it turns out,…it's pretty easy to do in InDesign.…
Learn what Publish Online can and cannot do, and how to adjust the publication settings to make sure documents look the way you want. Find out how to upload documents to the web and then share them via Facebook, Twitter, or email. Then look at the navigation and interface options used when viewing published documents, and learn how to update your published documents online. Author Diane Burns concludes with some advanced techniques, such as embedding published documents in websites and creating customized thumbnails for document navigation.
- Previewing real-world Publish Online documents
- Changing the publishing settings
- Uploading documents to Adobe servers
- Updating published documents
- Sharing documents via social media and email
- Using the Publications dashboard
- Understanding document analytics
- Viewing documents online
- Embedding documents on websites
- Adding projects to Behance