- Sometimes it's helpful to include a button that generates an email addressed to a specific person. For example, you may want to include a contact us or for more information button. You can do this with InDesign's Hyperlinks feature. In the Exercise Files folder, open 0701 email begin. We want to set this up so that when somebody taps each of these little email icons, a pre-addressed email is generated for Robert, Cheri or Cecil. So begin by drawing a rectangle over the Robert Bott area here that you want to be the tapable region, and then in the Hyperlinks panel, create a new hyperlink, and choose Email for the link type at the top, and then for the address type in email@example.com and we've got a spot where we can put a subject line in if you choose to, so we'll put in Customer inquiry, and then it will be a little less confusing further down the line here if you uncheck this Shared Hyperlink Destination.
That's not critical, but makes things a little easier, and then just OK out of this. Next, to replicate this for the other two people, I'm going to show you a little trick. This is one of my favorite little InDesign tricks. I need to duplicate this frame onto Cheri and onto Cecil. Quick, easy way to do that anytime you need to duplicate a series of objects, is to hold down in this case option + shift on the Mac or alt + shift on Windows, hold those down before you grab this object, then grab the rectangle and drag it to the right, and as you do that, tap the right arrow key on your keyboard once, and you'll see that it will spawn two additional frames that you can then position where you want and let go.
So with one command, you can just kind of generate this step and repeat kind of process. Pretty cool. So now you want to select the Cheri Mann frame. Go back into your Hyperlinks panel and just double-click on the hyperlink that corrosponds to her, the one that's highlighted, and change the email address from Robert Bott to Cheri.Mann. Okay. Out of that. Repeat the process for Cecil Nelson, and then preview the results, and you can even preview this in the interactivity preview panel.
The email address will function just fine there also, or you could publish it in Publish Online or export in EPub. So if I click on the Cheri Mann email, it launches my mail program, pre-addresses it to Cheri.Mann, and prefills the subject. Using the Hyperlink feature is a good way to create simple email buttons that contain only an address and subject. In another movie, we'll show an alternate method that enables you to include custom text in the body of an email.
- Creating animated navigation buttons
- Building interactive slideshows
- Creating reveal buttons
- Adding multiple choice and branching quizzes
- Creating a scrolling panorama
- Embedding video
- Creating buttons to send email