Learn the fundamentals of how to work with character styles in InDesign.
- [Instructor] In this movie,…I'll show how to create, apply, and modify character styles.…I'm going to zoom in on the text, Cmd + Ctrl + spacebar,…click and drag.…Once you've applied paragraph styles…which format that whole paragraph,…you can then apply character styles to any exceptions…within the paragraph.…So for example,…I would like to call out this text.…I'm using character styles to…give emphasis to the botanical names.…First of all I just want to make a point that…character styles are not cumulative.…
So if I come to my character styles here…and let's say that I create one,…which I call Ital…and then to my basic character formats…and I choose Italic as the font style,…and then I decide that I would like it…to actually be Bold Italic.…When I apply a bold character style…which I already have created to that text,…it overrides the italic.…So if you really want your character style…to be both bold and italic,…then you would make a whole new character style…but use the font style Bold Italic.…
Let me come back to where I was.…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 43m Beginner
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Managing Styles
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.