Join Keith Gilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Create animated buttons, part of InDesign: Fixed-Layout EPUB Interactive Techniques & Publish Online.
- Once in awhile you may want to include some animation in your buttons, in order to make the buttons more obvious or to catch the reader's eye. In the exercise files folder, open the 01_03_handbook_begin file. On page one, I'd like this red triangle on the bottom right-hand corner to animate, to make it more obvious to the user that they can tap or click on it. Select that red triangle, and then make sure you've got your Animation and Timing panels on the screen, if you don't you can find them here.
And in the Animation panel, I'm going to set the preset for this triangle to be Fly in from Left. I want that to happen On Page Load so when the page displays on the screen. I want the animation to last three seconds and I want it to play three times. Then I'm going to select the motion path and shorten that up quite a bit. Then to preview the result, I'm going to use my EPUB interactivity panel. If you don't have that panel on your screen you can get it by going to Window, Interactive, EPUB Interactivity Panel.
And in this panel I'm going to click on the play icon in the bottom left-hand corner, and that will preview this page, and you'll see the animation start to play in the bottom right corner. Now sometimes more subtlety is desired. One thing that I often to is to create a prompt that is real obvious on the page, and then have it disappear after a few seconds. Here's how to do that. On page four we've got this red prompt here, go ahead and select that, and go to the Animation panel and tell it that you want that to fade out.
So you'll use the Fade Out preset. And I'm going to just leave that Duration for the Fade Out at one second, I want it to play one time. And then in the Timing panel, I'm going to tell it to delay the start of the animation by three seconds. In order to do that you have to select the group listed in this box down here, and then set the Delay to three seconds. When you're finished you can preview that in the EPUB Interactivity Panel, I'm going to get to that panel quickly by clicking on the preview button in the bottom left corner of the Timing panel.
And then click the play button in the bottom-left corner of the Interactivity panel and you'll see that red flag appear for three seconds and then disappear. To learn a lot more about how to create animation in InDesign with the Animation and Timing panels see the excellent Creating Animations with Adobe InDesign CC course by Diane Burns. Used wisely, animated buttons can be a good way to guide your user through complex information. InDesign's Animation and Timing panels make this easy to do.
- Creating animated navigation buttons
- Building interactive slideshows
- Creating reveal buttons
- Adding multiple choice and branching quizzes
- Creating a scrolling panorama
- Embedding video
- Creating buttons to send email