Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting local formatting to character styles with Find/Change, part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
I think that we've looked at some very nicely formatted and designed Word…documents in this title, from time to time.…But now we get down to the brass tax, and look at a unfortunately more typical…document in Word. This entire thing has been done with our…friend Normal. Normal plus all this formatting.…How do you deal with a file like this? It has so much direct formatting, if I…turn on this little handy-dandy Check-box, Show Direct Formatting guides.…That's local formatting. Just about everything is locally formatted.…
Let me show you a good method. Not the fastest method, but the good…method of getting this to work in InDesign.…Going to jump over to InDesign, where we have a document waiting, with some…existing Paragraph and Character Styles. going to make sure that the Basic…paragraph, and None is set, and then place that document.…We want to import this document, turn on Show Import options.…With Remove Styles and Formatting, preserve local overrides.…We don't need Normal, we're going to be applying InDesign styles to this, but we…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.