Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting a Word index into an InDesign one, part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
The good news is that InDesign can import word indexes as live text.…So, the page number references would get updated after it refloat into the InDesign document.…The bad news is that, if you create an index that is beyond anything as simple as…individual words and phrases with page references as we have here in word…automatically generated index, then InDesign starts to fall apart.…It will not support indexes for page ranges for example.…It doesn't support ones that have subtopics like down here.…
If you start using cross-references in your InDesign index, here we're using Word…2011 for the Mac, but essentially, indexes work the same in most recent versions of Word.…So, if I go down to Index and Tables, you can see that you can mark entries and…choose your formats, and do all sorts of modifications.…I'm not going to go ahead and do this, but let's just go ahead and Mark Entry, so,…you can see all the different options. The ones that work is Current Page with a…name, which we mostly have here. So, this is a live index.…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.